26 Mar Family Instant Challenge!
Posted at 11:19h in Instant Challenge
Family Instant Challenge for Your Weekend
The Scene: You and your family are a group of astronauts that have set out on a journey to a newly discovered planet. Once there, you discover an alien form of life on this planet, but the alien can’t speak, or make any type of vocalizations.
Challenge: Your team must create a 2 minute performance about an alien. The alien is not allowed to talk or communicate with any noise throughout the entire performance. The team must describe 3 unique features about the alien as well as present how they discover
them without the alien speaking.
Part One: 20 minutes: The team will have 20 minutes to plan their story, and figure out how to communicate these discoveries without the alien making any noises. They must also use as many materials as possible to create a set, costumes, or props to help with your performance. During this time, the team member who will play “The Alien” must decide and write down their three unique characteristics on the supplied card, once the performance is finished, the alien should present the card to their family. These may not be shared with the rest of the team prior to the performance.
The characteristics must be one of the following:
- One thing the alien likes to eat
- The alien’s favorite activity
- The Alien’s biggest fear.
Part Two: 2 minutes The team will have 2 minutes to perform. The alien must stay silent the entire time and all three characteristics must be displayed clearly.
Materials, here are suggestions, but any materials you can find around the house are fine!
- 1 cardboard box
- 1 tablecloth
- 1 trash bag
- 1 deck of cards
- 1 egg carton
- 1 pair of scissors
- 10 paper plates
- 1 sheet of labels
- 15 chenille sticks
- 1 set of markers
- 2 sheets Aluminum foil
- Sheet of paper and a pencil to plan your skit
- 1 index card and pencil (to be used by the alien)
- Up to 20 points for the creativity of your performance
- Up to 20 points for the creativity of the props, costumes, and/or set
- Up to 15 points for use of materials
- Up to 15 points for the communication of the 3 characteristics (5 pts per characteristic)
- 20 points for teamwork
- 10 points if the person playing the alien remains silent for the entire performance
Winning Video: Click Here
Mount Garfield Middle School
Submit your video to Kate by Tuesday, March 31st. We will draw a winner and feature on our DI Colorado Website.