Teams are forming NOW!!! Purchase Your Membership Here!
Tournament Logistics Meeting
- Date: February 3, 2021
- Time: 6:30 pm
- Covering: Tournament procedures, background checks, becoming the Team Manager of Record, registration. This will be recorded. If we reach capacity, a second date will be added. https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMtd-ygrjouG9zYfi1PL-4AlbYJ2LMSkfY_
Welcome to the Western Slope Region for DI Colorado, We’re so glad you’re here!
Our region supports all the districts in the central mountains and western slope of Colorado including Grand Junction, Delta, Glenwood Springs, Summit County, Eagle County, and Rifle, as well as independent and home-school teams within the area.
2021 Showcase and Tournament Events
There are 3 separate events that ALL teams may participate in. Regardless if your team chooses to participate in 1, 2 or 3 events, the cost is $125 for competitive teams, $75 for Early Learning. This is the TOTAL price, NOT the price per event. We hope you take advantage of all our events. Getting feedback is an important part to learning.
All DICO teams that have purchased a team number and completed a DIHQ approved background check will be able to participate in ALL the following activities:
February IC Practice Day
DICO teams opting to participate in this IC release will be able to submit their IC video for score and feedback by DICO appraisers.Think of this as your IC practice day! Teams will get scores, and an opportunity to see first hand what a virtual IC looks like.
- Register and pay by: February 4, 2021, 11:59 p.m.
- Instant Challenge Release: February 5 at 3:00 a.m. Eastern Time with a deadline for submission on February 8 at 11:59 p.m. your local tournament time.
- Feedback will be sent to your team via email prior to February 28, 2021.
All teams will be able to participate in the following events getting feedback, scores and rankings. This is similar to a traditional Regional Tournament but will take place virtually. All teams will move on to the state tournament, including Rising Stars Teams. Teams wont “place” during this event. This is to give your team feedback before moving to the state tournament.
- Register and pay by: February 8, 2021, by 11:59 p.m. (Unless you already paid at the IC Day time, DO NOT pay twice.)
- Improv Unknowns Release: February 12 at 3:00 a.m. Eastern Time with a deadline for submission February 15 at 11:59 p.m. your local tournament time
- Central Challenge Submission: March 4 by 11:59 p.m.
- Instant Challenge Release: March 5 at 3:00 a.m. Eastern Time with deadline for submission of March 8 at 11:59 p.m. your local tournament time
- Results and emailed feedback: March 13, 2021. All challenges will be appraised and scores returned to Team Managers. Team Managers or team manager designee must be available on March 13 to receive scores and sticky notes electronically. All teams will proceed to the State Tournament.
All teams will be able to participate in the following events getting feedback, scores and rankings. This is similar to a traditional State Tournament but will take place virtually.
- Register and pay by: March 18, 2021, 11:59 p.m. (Unless you have already paid).
- Order and pay for T-shirts: March 18, 2021 11:59 p.m. (Optional)
- Instant Challenge Release: March 19 at 3:00 a.m. Eastern Time with a deadline for submission of March 22 at 11:59 p.m. your local tournament time.
- Improv Unknowns Release: March 25 at 3:00 a.m. Eastern Time with deadline for submission of March 28 at 11:59 p.m. your local tournament time
- Central Challenge Submission: March 27 by 11:59 p.m.
- Results and emailed feedback on April 3. All challenges will be appraised and scores returned to Team Managers. Team Managers or team manager designee must be available on April 3 to receive scores and sticky notes electronically.
- Award Ceremony April 3. A Facebook Live award ceremony will take place and every team will receive a state party pack. DICO teams in first, second, third and fourth place in each level and each challenge (except Rising Stars) will be invited to compete at Global Finals.
All of these activities are available to all teams. The cost will be $125 per team, $75 per Rising Stars team. This is a discounted price for 2020-2021 tournament year.
Welcome To Western Slope
Greetings to our amazing Western Slope DI participants!
And – welcome to a new DI season. Before we share all the details we know at this point for the upcoming season, we’d like to express our deep appreciation for all the hard work and dedication you bring in support of our kids. DI can’t function without our Team Managers – and you are facilitating an experience for your team members that they’ll remember fondly throughout their lives. You’re also helping them to develop life-long skills like creative problem solving, self-expression, self-advocacy, teamwork, time and budget management, as well as completing the innovation process. They’ll rely upon these skills throughout the rest of their educational experience – preparing them to be more confident, capable, and successful as a result.
So – simply stated, thank you. You ROCK!
Now – on to the great stuff we have in store to support YOU this year! Please read the enclosed information about the Team Manager training schedule (we have something new in store this year – design your OWN experience!), parental support, as well as where to find important resources on the DI websites (both Colorado’s as well as the international DI site).
One of our all-time favorite quotes is this, “It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.…” Harry Truman said this more than 60 years ago, and it still rings true today – especially for Team Managers. We, as adults, can’t actually “do” anything for our team – except to encourage them and love them throughout their DI experience. It’s up to them, yes, but they depend upon you – our Team Managers – to be their rocks, their support system and their inspiration.
You inspire us – THANK YOU for all you do!
Western Slope Challenge Masters
Team Manager Trainings
DI Colorado provides trainings for both our new and “seasoned” Team Managers.
All of our 20-21 Team Manager Trainings have been completed. To see recorded training videos, please contact Kate
New Team Manager Training: Covers the basics: an overview of the program, what you’ll need to get started, Instant Challenge, team building etc. Our goal is to get you started on the right foot and comfortable with the Destination Imagination program. This training will not discuss any of the long-term challenges.
- Engaging your kids on Zoom
- Basic Video Editing
- New Team Manager Training
- Fine Arts
- Service Learning
- Early Learning
- Instant Challenge
There is no charge for trainings. It’s included as part of your fees when you purchase your National Membership.
This year all Instant Challenges will be done by video submissions. Because this is a new procedure we have a few video examples for you to see.
Volunteer Positions - We Need YOU!
We need volunteers for the following positions:
Technical Regional Challenge Master
Service Learning Regional Challenge Master
and we ALWAYS need more appraisers for our regional tournament!
Attaching Yourself As Team Manager of Record
By now, your team has most likely read through all of the exciting Challenges of the 2019-20 season. If you’ve chosen your Challenge, you may have even started working on its solution already! Each year, our Challenge Writers work hard to make sure they develop fun and engaging academic Challenges for all of our participants and knowing which Challenge your team is participating in this season helps us identify the most popular Challenges, as well as better gauge the number of teams that are competing worldwide.
We need you to take a few minutes to enter your team’s information, including your Team Name, Team Challenge, and Challenge Level, in our Resource Area.
If this is your first time accessing the Resource Area, this portal will allow you to download documents, such as practice Instant Challenges, as well as ask Team Clarifications. So please go ahead and dig around while you’re in there!
HOW TO ENTER YOUR TEAM’S INFORMATION:
- If you don’t have a DI account, create one now by going to: https://resources.destinationimagination.org/shop.php/auth/account/create_new_account and entering your information.
- Once you have an account, go to the Resource Area here: https://resources.destinationimagination.org/resources.php.
- Make sure to view and accept the code of conduct!
- Highlight the Teams tab and then select My Teams.
- Click on Add Team, and then enter either the Team Number and order number (this information will come from the person who purchased the team number) OR the Team Number and the postal code.
- If you have multiple teams, repeat Step 5 to claim all of your teams.
- Click on the pencil icon to the left of your Team Number and then add/edit your organization name, team name, and the Challenge/Level your team will be participating in this season. Remember, you can change the Challenge if your team decides to make a switch from their original plan. However, once you’ve competed in your first tournament, you cannot change your Challenge.
Important: Because our scoring program is tied to the information you provide, please make sure everything is accurate!
New for 2020-2021. Background checks are being administered and processed through DIHQ.
- You can purchase a background check at Background Checks.
- You can either purchase a background check with your team number or you can purchase a team number independently.
- You will not be able to access team challenges and other resources until you have cleared your background check.
- If you have a LEVEL 3 background check from Sterling Volunteers due to volunteer work with a different non-profit, church, or school, you may share it with Destination Imagination. NOT Destination Imagination Colorado. Again, Destination Imagination.
- If you have a LEVEL 2 or 1 background check from Sterling Volunteers due to volunteer work with a different non-profit, church, or school, you may pay to upgrade to LEVEL 3 and then share with Destination Imagination.
Western Slope Newsletters
Links to email newsletters…
Specifics for team-related costs in Western Slope TBA.
Jill Jurca, Regional Director
To develop opportunities that inspire the global community of learners to utilize diverse approaches in applying 21st century skills and creativity.
The Destination Imagination program is a fun, hands-on system of learning that fosters students’ creativity, courage and curiosity through open-ended academic Challenges in the fields of STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics), fine arts and service learning. Our participants learn patience, flexibility, persistence, ethics, respect for others and their ideas, and the collaborative problem solving process. Teams may showcase their solutions at a tournament.