Our region supports all the districts in the southwest corner of Colorado including Durango, Pagosa Springs, Ignacio, Dolores, Cortez, Mancos, Telluride and Bayfield, as well as independent and home-school teams within the area.
Welcome to the Southwest Region for DI Colorado!
Welcome To Southwest
Greetings to our amazing Southwest DI participants!
And welcome to a new and different DI season. We’d like to express our deep appreciation for all the hard work and dedication you bring in support of our kids, especially during this challenging time.
DI can’t function without our Team Managers and Tournament Volunteers – and you are facilitating an experience for our team members that they’ll remember fondly throughout their lives. You’re also helping them to develop life-long skills like creative problem solving, self-expression, self-advocacy, teamwork, time and budget management, as well as completing the innovation process. They’ll rely upon these skills throughout the rest of their educational experience – preparing them to be more confident, capable, and successful as a result.
Thank you! You ROCK!
Register for Tournament Today!
This is the regional tournament for Southwest Colorado.
Team Manager Trainings
DI Colorado provides trainings for both our new and “seasoned” Team Managers.
Our 23-24 Team Manager Trainings will be scheduled on October 18, 2023 at 7:00PM. Please log on here.
New Team Manager Training: Covers the basics: an overview of the program, what you’ll need to get started, Instant Challenge, team building etc. Our goal is to get you started on the right foot and comfortable with the Destination Imagination program. This training will not discuss any of the long-term challenges.
Volunteer Positions - We Need YOU!
We are also looking for volunteer Challenge Masters to help lead Teams throughout the season with the Engineering, Service Learning, Improvisational, Instant Challenge and Early Learning Challenges.
Attaching Yourself As Team Manager of Record
Attaching yourself as the manager of record for your team ensures you can access all of the program and challenge materials available to you. It also allows us to communicate important information to you directly. If you are co-managing with anyone else, all managers can, and should, sign up.
We need you to take a few minutes to first confirm your contact information then eventually enter your team’s information, including your Team Name, Team Challenge, and Challenge Level, in our Resource Area.
If this is your first time accessing the Resource Area, this portal will allow you to download documents, such as practice Instant Challenges, as well as ask Team Clarifications. So please go ahead and dig around while you’re in there!
HOW TO ENTER YOUR TEAM’S INFORMATION:
- If you don’t have a DI account, create one now by going to: https://resources.destinationimagination.org/shop.php/auth/account/create_new_account and entering your information.
- Once you have an account, go to the Resource Area here: https://resources.destinationimagination.org/resources.php.
- Make sure to view and accept the code of conduct!
- Highlight the Teams tab and then select My Teams.
- Click on Add Team, and then enter either the Team Number and order number (this information will come from the person who purchased the team number) OR the Team Number and the postal code.
- If you have multiple teams, repeat Step 5 to claim all of your teams
- Click on the pencil icon to the left of your Team Number to edit your organization name, add another Team Manager, and eventually enter your team name and the Challenge/Level your team will be participating in this season. Remember, you can change the Challenge if your team decides to make a switch from their original plan. However, once you’ve competed in your first tournament, you cannot change your Challenge.
- Please Note: you DO NOT need to enter information about your team members on this DI Resource area; team member information will instead need to be entered later as part of the regional tournament registration process.
Important: Because our scoring program is tied to the information you provide, please make sure everything is accurate!
In order to provide the highest level of after school activities for our participants, Destination Imagination requires Team Managers to have a background check. Destination Imagination will be administering background checks through the Destination Imagination store.
In order to provide the highest level of after school activities for our participants, DI Colorado requires all team managers to have background checks. Please review our detailed Youth Protection Policy here.
New for 2023-2024. Background checks are being administered and processed through DICO.
In order to provide the safest experience for our participants, Destination Imagination requires Team Managers to have a background check. Learn more about Destination Imagination’s Youth Protection Policy here.
Note: You will not be able to access team challenges and other resources until you have cleared your background check.
There are a few options for completing a background check:
- Purchase a background check from Destination Imagination Colorado.
- Your school district can opt to do a Group Waiver and submit to DIHQ
- If you have already purchased a LEVEL 2 background check from Sterling Volunteers for Destination Imagination or from work with a different non-profit, church, or school, you can share it with Destination Imagination.
DI Team Membership
Practice and Challenge Materials/Supplies
On average, the costs for materials typically amount to around $250. While this might seem like a significant expense, there are various ways to alleviate this financial burden. One effective approach is to engage in fundraising activities or request a reasonable participation fee from those involved.
We’ve streamlined the team manager experience by combining season and regional tournament registration. By signing up, you’ll gain access to an exclusive community, a comprehensive training guide, practice sets, DI Learn, training sessions, Discord connections, Regional Tournament participation, and personalized support. Package prices range from $265 to $365 depending on your region, with additional costs for materials (around $300 per team), team manager background checks ($20), and regional tournament T-shirts ($20 each). Invest approximately $106.00 to $120.00 per student for a six to nine-month journey in creativity, teamwork, and problem-solving!
Sarah RogersRegional Director of Southwest
Team Manager Training 7:00 pm
Team Manager Training @ ZOOM
Oct 18 @ 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm
Will be a ZOOM training! Open to all team managers. Anyone can attend. We highly encourage Southwest teams to attend this training! This is a basic overview of DI. How to be a team manager, how to plan a team, how to read a challenge,...
Team Manager Training 6:30 pm
Team Manager Training @ Bemis Public Library
Oct 19 @ 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm
Will be a live training in the Denver Metro Area. This training will be at Bemis Public Library, 6014 S Datura St, Littleton, CO 80120. Anyone can attend. This is a basic overview of DI. How to be a team manager, how to plan a...
DI After Dark – Middle School Teams 7:00 pm
DI After Dark – Middle School Teams @ Compass Montessori
Oct 27 @ 7:00 pm – 11:00 pm
Attention Middle School Teams! Welcome to a whole new DI experience. Come experience DI in a whole new way! You and your team will be given a 4-part challenge to solve in one 4 hour period. Compete with your DI team, or just come on...
To develop opportunities that inspire the global community of learners to utilize diverse approaches in applying 21st-century skills and creativity.
The Destination Imagination program is a fun, hands-on system of learning that fosters students’ creativity, courage and curiosity through open-ended academic Challenges in the fields of STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics), fine arts and service learning. Our participants learn patience, flexibility, persistence, ethics, respect for others and their ideas, and the collaborative problem solving process. Teams may showcase their solutions at a tournament.