Welcome to the Southwest Region for DI Colorado. We’re so glad you’re here!
Our region supports all the districts in the southwest corner of Colorado including Durango, Pagosa Springs, Ignacio, Dolores, Cortez, Mancos, Telluride and Bayfield, as well as independent and home-school teams within the area.
Welcome To Southwest
Greetings to our amazing Southwest DI participants! And welcome to a new DI season. We’d like to express our deep appreciation for all the hard work and dedication you bring in support of our kids. DI can’t function without our Team Managers and Tournament Volunteers – and you are facilitating an experience for our team members that they’ll remember fondly throughout their lives. You’re also helping them to develop life-long skills like creative problem solving, self-expression, self-advocacy, teamwork, time and budget management, as well as completing the innovation process. They’ll rely upon these skills throughout the rest of their educational experience – preparing them to be more confident, capable, and successful as a result.
So – simply stated, thank you. You ROCK!
Southwest Regional Tournament:
Saturday, March 14, 2020 @ Escalate Middle School, Durango
Note about Spring Break: We understand that this date marks the first day of spring break for several of our districts and do not want this to pose any barrier to participation in the DI experience. Attending our regional tournament is but one way to celebrate the accomplishments of a Team, and we will work with Teams to accommodate alternative showcase events while still providing opportunity for those Teams to advance in competition.
Register for Tournament Today!
Register for the Southwest Tournament!
Click here: Registration
Date: Saturday, March 14, 2020
Location: Escalate Middle School, Durango
Note about Spring Break: We understand that this date marks the first day of spring break for several of our districts and do not want this to pose any barrier to participation in the DI experience. Attending our regional tournament is but one way to celebrate the accomplishments of a team, and we will work with teams to accommodate alternative showcase events while still providing opportunity for those teams to advance in competition.
Team Manager Trainings
Online, self directed training modules for Team Managers are available from DI headquarters here. Team managers are sent a link to enroll when they first associate with a team and may also email Kris at firstname.lastname@example.org at any time to create or access an account. Topics include Roles of a Team Manager, Rules of the Road Overview, Understanding Interference, and much more!
Managers from the Southwest may also participate for free in any of the other training opportunities scheduled throughout Colorado. DI Colorado will broadcast several of these sessions online as webinars. Most of the in-person events are being held on the front range, but for those traveling already or looking for a reason for a road trip, please feel free!! Here’s the agenda for the Denver Metro area trainings: Team Manager Training Agenda 110219
Volunteer Positions - We Need YOU!
Attaching Yourself As Team Manager of Record
Attaching yourself as the manager of record for your team ensures you can access all of the program and challenge materials available to you. It also allows us to communicate important information to you directly. If you are co-managing with anyone else, all managers can, and should, sign up.
We need you to take a few minutes to first confirm your contact information then eventually enter your team’s information, including your Team Name, Team Challenge, and Challenge Level, in our Resource Area.
If this is your first time accessing the Resource Area, this portal will allow you to download documents, such as practice Instant Challenges, as well as ask Team Clarifications. So please go ahead and dig around while you’re in there!
HOW TO ENTER YOUR TEAM’S INFORMATION:
- If you don’t have a DI account, create one now by going to: https://resources.destinationimagination.org/shop.php/auth/account/create_new_account and entering your information.
- Once you have an account, go to the Resource Area here: https://resources.destinationimagination.org/resources.php.
- Make sure to view and accept the code of conduct!
- Highlight the Teams tab and then select My Teams.
- Click on Add Team, and then enter either the Team Number and order number (this information will come from the person who purchased the team number) OR the Team Number and the postal code.
- If you have multiple teams, repeat Step 5 to claim all of your teams
- Click on the pencil icon to the left of your Team Number to edit your organization name, add another Team Manager, and eventually enter your team name and the Challenge/Level your team will be participating in this season. Remember, you can change the Challenge if your team decides to make a switch from their original plan. However, once you’ve competed in your first tournament, you cannot change your Challenge.
- Please Note: you DO NOT need to enter information about your team members on this DI Resource area; team member information will instead need to be entered later as part of the regional tournament registration process.
Important: Because our scoring program is tied to the information you provide, please make sure everything is accurate!
In order to provide the highest level of after school activities for our participants, DI Colorado requires all team managers to have background checks. Please review our detailed Youth Protection Policy here.
There are several ways in which Southwest Team Managers can complete a background check.
- Managers who are teachers or other school employees may submit a scan or photo of their teacher license number and their current district ID to Rob
- Other Managers at Southwest Region schools should check with their school office and follow their volunteer procedures. We do not need a copy of the report, but rather an official notification on letterhead from the school signed by an administrator that a background check has been passed and is on file.
- If none of these options are suitable, you may use Sterling Volunteers through our State Office– (Click Here) Our “Good Deed Code” is veq92lv. There is a non-refundable fee of approximately $25.
All of the methods outlined above are confidential, and your personal information does not reside with DI Colorado. We will only have an indication if you have been cleared or not cleared. If a team manager is not cleared to work with students that volunteer has the right to have his/her case reviewed by the agency providing the background check. Your Regional Director will be notified that your team cannot compete in the regional competition unless a new team manager is provided and has cleared a background check.
|Type of Membership||Price|
|Competitive Challenge Materials||$105 National Registration + $45 Affiliate Fee =$150|
|Rising Star Challenge Materials||$105 National Registration + $30 Affiliate Fee =$135|
Regional Tournament Registration
$60 per Competitive Team
$20 per Rising Stars Team
Practice and Challenge Materials/Supplies
DI emphasizes using inexpensive materials and recycled “trash” items at no cost to the team, but estimates the average value of materials used to be $250 per team.
TECHNICAL – THE BIG FIX
SCIENTIFIC – FIRST ENCOUNTER
FINE ARTS – PICTURE THIS
IMPROV – TO THE RESCUE
ENGINEERING – IN THE CARDS
SERVICE LEARNING – IT’S ABOUT TIME
RISING STARS – BLAST OFF
Sheila Weahkee, Regional Director
To develop opportunities that inspire the global community of learners to utilize diverse approaches in applying 21st-century skills and creativity.
The Destination Imagination program is a fun, hands-on system of learning that fosters students’ creativity, courage and curiosity through open-ended academic Challenges in the fields of STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics), fine arts and service learning. Our participants learn patience, flexibility, persistence, ethics, respect for others and their ideas, and the collaborative problem solving process. Teams may showcase their solutions at a tournament.