Teams are forming now! Purchase Your Membership Here!
Tournament Logistics Meeting
- Date: February 3, 2021
- Time: 6:30 pm
- Covering: Tournament procedures, background checks, becoming the Team Manager of Record, registration. This will be recorded. If we reach capacity, a second date will be added. https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMtd-ygrjouG9zYfi1PL-4AlbYJ2LMSkfY_
Welcome to the Jeffco Region for DI Colorado! We’re so glad you’re here.
Our region supports all the schools in Jefferson County Public Schools, as well as schools in Clear Creek, Summit, and Grand counties, as well as independent and home-school teams within the area.
2021 Showcase and Tournament Events
What does the DI Colorado experience look like this year?
All DICO teams that have purchased a team number and completed a DIHQ approved background check will be able to participate in ALL the following activities:
February 5th IC Day. DICO teams opting to participate in this IC release will be able to submit their IC video for score and feedback by DICO appraisers.Think of this as your IC practice day! Teams will get scores, and an opportunity to see first hand what a virtual IC looks like.
Showcase event: All teams will be able to participate in the following events getting feedback, scores and rankings. This is similar to a traditional Regional Tournament but will take place virtually. All teams will move on to the state tournament, including Rising Stars Teams. Teams wont “place” during this event. This is to give your team feedback before moving to the state tournament.
February 12, 2021 – Improv teams receive their unknowns to be recorded and uploaded per instructions by February 15.
March 4, 2021 – All Team Challenges should be uploaded to YouTube per instructions.
March 5, 2021 – IC released to be recorded and uploaded by March 7.
March 13, 2021 – All challenges will be appraised and scores returned to Team Managers. Team Managers or team manager designee must be available on March 13 to receive scores and sticky notes electronically. All teams will proceed to the State Tournament.
State/Affiliate Tournaments: All teams will be able to participate in the following events getting feedback, scores and rankings. This is similar to a traditional State Tournament but will take place virtually.
March 19, 2021 – IC released to be recorded and uploaded by March 21.
March 26, 2021 – Improv teams receive their unknowns to be recorded and uploaded per instructions by March 28.
March 27, 2021 – All Team Challenges should be uploaded to YouTube per instructions on Rules of the Road.
April 3, 2021 – All challenges will be appraised and scores returned to Team Managers. Team Managers or team manager designee must be available on April 3 to receive scores and sticky notes electronically. A Facebook Live award ceremony will take place and every team will receive a state party pack. DICO teams in first, second, third and fourth place in each level and each challenge (except Rising Stars) will be invited to compete at Global Finals.
All of these activities are available to all teams. The cost will be $125 per team, $75 per Rising Stars team. This is a discounted price for 2020-2021 tournament year.
Welcome To Jeffco
Greetings to our amazing Jeffco DI participants!
And – welcome to a new DI season. Before we share all the details we know at this point for the upcoming season, we’d like to express our deep appreciation for all the hard work and dedication you bring in support of our kids. DI can’t function without our Team Managers – and you are facilitating an experience for your team members that they’ll remember fondly throughout their lives. You’re also helping them to develop life-long skills like creative problem solving, self-expression, self-advocacy, teamwork, time and budget management, as well as completing the innovation process. They’ll rely upon these skills throughout the rest of their educational experience – preparing them to be more confident, capable, and successful as a result.
So – simply stated, thank you. You ROCK!
Now – on to the great stuff we have in store to support YOU this year! Please read the enclosed information about the Team Manager training schedule (we have something new in store this year – design your OWN experience!), parental support, as well as where to find important resources on the DI websites (both Colorado’s as well as the international DI site).
Attaching yourself as the manager of record for your team ensures you can access all of the program and challenge materials available to you. It also allows us to communicate important information to you directly. If you are co-managing with anyone else, all managers can, and should, sign up. You can do this at destinationimagination.org.
One of our all-time favorite quotes is this, “It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.…” Harry Truman said this more than 60 years ago, and it still rings true today – especially for Team Managers. We, as adults, can’t actually “do” anything for our team – except to encourage them and love them throughout their DI experience. It’s up to them, yes, but they depend upon you – our Team Managers – to be their rocks, their support system and their inspiration.
You inspire us – THANK YOU for all you do!
Jeffco Challenge Masters
Technical – The Big Fix
Scientific – First Encounter
Fine Arts – Picture This
Improv – To The Rescue
Engineering – In the Cards
Service Learning – It’s About Time
Rising Stars – Blast Off
Team Manager Trainings
DI Colorado provides trainings for both our new and “seasoned” Team Managers.
All of our 20-21 Team Manager Trainings have been completed. To see recorded training videos, please contact Kate
New Team Manager Training: Covers the basics: an overview of the program, what you’ll need to get started, Instant Challenge, team building etc. Our goal is to get you started on the right foot and comfortable with the Destination Imagination program. This training will not discuss any of the long-term challenges.
- Engaging your kids on Zoom
- Basic Video Editing
- New Team Manager Training
- Fine Arts
- Service Learning
- Early Learning
- Instant Challenge
There is no charge for trainings. It’s included as part of your fees when you purchase your National Membership.
This year all Instant Challenges will be done by video submissions. Because this is a new procedure we have a few video examples for you to see.
Volunteer Positions - We Need YOU!
Attaching Yourself As Team Manager of Record
Our exciting Challenges of the 2020-21 season are about to be released. On November 1st and December 1st all of this years challenges will be available to be solved in person (small groups only) or virtually. Each year, our Challenge Writers work hard to make sure they develop fun and engaging academic Challenges for all of our participants and knowing which Challenge your team is participating in this season helps us identify the most popular Challenges, as well as better gauge the number of teams that are competing worldwide.
We need you to take a few minutes to enter your team’s information, including your Team Name, Team Challenge, and Challenge Level, in our Resource Area.
If this is your first time accessing the Resource Area, this portal will allow you to download documents, such as practice Instant Challenges, as well as ask Team Clarifications. So please go ahead and dig around while you’re in there!
HOW TO ENTER YOUR TEAM’S INFORMATION:
- If you don’t have a DI account, create one now by going to: https://resources.destinationimagination.org/shop.php/auth/account/create_new_account and entering your information.
- Once you have an account, go to the Resource Area here: https://resources.destinationimagination.org/resources.php.
- Make sure to view and accept the code of conduct!
- Highlight the Teams tab and then select My Teams.
- Click on Add Team, and then enter either the Team Number and order number (this information will come from the person who purchased the team number) OR the Team Number and the postal code.
- If you have multiple teams, repeat Step 5 to claim all of your teams.
- Click on the pencil icon to the left of your Team Number and then add/edit your organization name, team name, and the Challenge/Level your team will be participating in this season. Remember, you can change the Challenge if your team decides to make a switch from their original plan. However, once you’ve competed in your first tournament, you cannot change your Challenge.
Important: Because our scoring program is tied to the information you provide, please make sure everything is accurate!
In order to provide the highest level of after school activities for our participants, DI Colorado requires all team managers to have background checks. Please review our detailed Youth Protection Policy here.
New for 2020-2021. Background checks are being administered and processed through DIHQ.
- You can purchase a background check at Background Checks.
- You can either purchase a background check with your team number or you can purchase a team number independently.
- You will not be able to access team challenges and other resources until you have cleared your background check.
- If you have a LEVEL 3 background check from Sterling Volunteers due to volunteer work with a different non-profit, church, or school, you may share it with Destination Imagination. NOT Destination Imagination Colorado. Again, Destination Imagination.
- If you have a LEVEL 2 or 1 background check from Sterling Volunteers due to volunteer work with a different non-profit, church, or school, you may pay to upgrade to LEVEL 3 and then share with Destination Imagination.
Links to email newsletters…
Eileen Naslund, Regional DirectorEileen@jeffcodi.com
Paul Naslund, Regional Directorpaul@jeffcodi.com
To develop opportunities that inspire the global community of learners to utilize diverse approaches in applying 21st-century skills and creativity.
The Destination Imagination program is a fun, hands-on system of learning that fosters students’ creativity, courage and curiosity through open-ended academic Challenges in the fields of STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics), fine arts and service learning. Our participants learn patience, flexibility, persistence, ethics, respect for others and their ideas, and the collaborative problem solving process. Teams may showcase their solutions at a tournament.