Welcome to the South Metro Region for DI Colorado. We’re so glad you’re here!
Our region supports all the districts south of the Denver Metro Area including Littleton Public Schools, Douglas County Schools, Englewood Public Schools, and Park County Schools. We also include teams from the northern Colorado Springs area including: Monument, Calhan, Yoder-Miami, Manitou Springs, Woodland Park and Divide, Colorado, as well as independent and home-school teams within the area.
Welcome To South Metro
Greetings to our amazing South Metro DI participants!
And – welcome to the 2021-2022 Destination Imagination season. Before we share all the details we know at this point for the upcoming season, we’d like to express our deep appreciation for all the dedication our Team Managers and Appraisers bring in support of our kids. DI can’t function without you – you are facilitating an experience for team members that they’ll remember fondly throughout their lives. You’re also helping them to develop life-long skills like creative problem solving, self-expression, self-advocacy, teamwork, time and budget management, as well as completing the innovation process. They’ll rely upon these skills throughout the rest of their educational experience – preparing them to be more confident, capable, and successful as a result.
So – simply stated, thank you. You ROCK!
Now – on to the great stuff we have in store to support YOU this year! Please look through our all-new website. (we are so excited about this!) We plan to keep you up to date on all trainings, Wine and Wisdom Team Manager nights, Instant Challenge Day, etc. through the website and also through our South Metro newsletter. This year’s newsletters will be a little different. On the first week of the month it will be a general newsletter – trainings dates, important deadlines, where to find information, t-shirt/pin orders, etc. During the third week, the newsletter will be information-specific – team building activities, instant challenge strategies, and more – to support you throughout the DI year. Miss a newsletter? No problem! We’ll have a link posted below in the newsletter section of the web site.
Team Managers – Once you’ve purchased your National DI Membership, attaching yourself as the manager of record for your team ensures you can access all of the program and challenge materials available to you. It also allows us to communicate important information to you directly. If you are co-managing with anyone else, all managers can, and should, sign up. You can do this at destinationimagination.org.
One of our all-time favorite quotes is this, “It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.…” Harry Truman said this more than 60 years ago, and it still rings true today – especially for Team Managers. We, as adults, can’t actually “do” anything for our team – except to encourage them and support them throughout their DI experience. It’s up to them, yes, but they depend upon you – our Team Managers – to be their rocks, their support system and their inspiration.
You inspire us – THANK YOU for all you do!
From your South Metro Regional team!
Team Manager Training Videos
DI Colorado provides trainings for both our new and “seasoned” Team Managers.
Our 2021-2022 Team Manager Trainings are all going to be on Zoom and recorded.
Skills based Trainings:
- IC Materials Workshop, This is only available to Colorado teams. Please click on the link and request the link. You need paper, straws, chenille stems, pencils, paperclips, index cards and rubber bands ready.
- How to build a structure. This is a basic building class with questions you should ask your team. If you want to try it out have craft sticks and tacky glue.
- Storytelling. Here are the resource materials for this session: bit.ly/DIStorytelling
- Going from Good to Great This training class is for experienced teams that want to improve their performance. Presentation notes are here.
- How to read a challenge. Presentation notes are here.
There is no charge for trainings. It’s included as part of your fees when you purchase your National Membership.
Volunteer Positions - We Need YOU!
We would love to have you join the South Metro Tournament Team!
Please Note: Any of these position will fill the requirement for team appraiser recruitment.
Instant Challenge Day
Instant Challenge Day Host: Coffee, donuts, fruit and water for appraisers. (Approximately 2 hours)
Instant Challenge Day Coordinator: Confirm appraisers beforehand, make sure they have Instant Challenge Day appraisal information. (Approximately 2 hours before IC Day and 5 hours the day of)
Volunteer Coordinator: If you’re an organizer and someone who likes to tell people where to go, then this is the job for you! This position assigns volunteers to needed positions with in the tournament, makes sure all appraiser and volunteers have shirts, confirm who wants to appraiser at the state tournament. (Approximately 10 hours)
Hospitality Coordinator : We love our appraisers and volunteers and as such we treat them like royalty. A light breakfast and hot lunch is provided, we need someone to coordinate with catering to make sure things are ordered, set up and cleaned up. We also need to make sure each site has water. (Approximately 1 hour before tournament and 3 hours the day of)
Tournament Food: Coordinate food truck for participants at tournament, make sure day of they are set up. (Approximately 2 hours)
Team Manager Support: Coordinate, put together and distribute Team Manager thank you gifts. (Approximately 5 hours)
Please contact Debi Tipton to receive more information
Request An Information Night
Members of our South Metro recruitment team would love to do a Destination Imagination Information Night for your school or parent group. We can do these virtually.
Expect the presentation time to last approximately one hour, plus time for questions. Our goal is to make sure you have all the information to start teams is this unique program year.
To arrange for your DI Information Night contact Kayla: Kayla Steffens
South Metro Challenge Masters
Please feel free to contact your Regional Challenge Master with ANY questions you have about your challenge. They are here to help!
Wine & Wisdom - Team Manager Support Group
Team Manager support group is an awesome way to get your questions answered by one of our best.
- RSVP to Dacia Donohue at
- Bring a drink and light snack to share.
- If you have a specific topic you want to cover, email Dacia, she’ll work it in!
- Please don’t bring children with you – this is for team managers only
Attaching Yourself As Team Manager of Record
Our exciting Challenges of the 2021-22 season are about to be released. On September 1st all of this years challenges will be available to be solved in person. Each year, our Challenge Writers work hard to make sure they develop fun and engaging academic Challenges for all of our participants and knowing which Challenge your team is participating in this season helps us identify the most popular Challenges, as well as better gauge the number of teams that are competing worldwide.
We need you to take a few minutes to enter your team’s information, including your Team Name, Team Challenge, and Challenge Level, in our Resource Area.
If this is your first time accessing the Resource Area, this portal will allow you to download documents, such as practice Instant Challenges, as well as ask Team Clarifications. So please go ahead and dig around while you’re in there!
HOW TO ENTER YOUR TEAM’S INFORMATION:
- If you don’t have a DI account, create one now by going to: https://resources.destinationimagination.org/shop.php/auth/account/create_new_account and entering your information.
- Once you have an account, go to the Resource Area here: https://resources.destinationimagination.org/resources.php.
- Make sure to view and accept the code of conduct!
- Highlight the Teams tab and then select My Teams.
- Click on Add Team, and then enter either the Team Number and order number (this information will come from the person who purchased the team number) OR the Team Number and the postal code.
- If you have multiple teams, repeat Step 5 to claim all of your teams.
- Click on the pencil icon to the left of your Team Number and then add/edit your organization name, team name, and the Challenge/Level your team will be participating in this season. Remember, you can change the Challenge if your team decides to make a switch from their original plan. However, once you’ve competed in your first tournament, you cannot change your Challenge.
Important: Because our scoring program is tied to the information you provide, please make sure everything is accurate!
In order to provide the highest level of after school activities for our participants, Destination Imagination requires Team Managers to have a background check. Destination Imagination will be administering background checks through the Destination Imagination store.
In order to provide the highest level of after school activities for our participants, DI Colorado requires all team managers to have background checks. Please review our detailed Youth Protection Policy here.
New for 2021-2022. Background checks are being administered and processed through DIHQ.
- You can purchase a background check at Background Checks.
- You can either purchase a background check with your team number or you can purchase a team number independently.
- You will not be able to access team challenges and other resources until you have cleared your background check.
- You can purchase a LEVEL 3 background check from Sterling Volunteers for DICO or from work with a different non-profit, church, or school, you may share it with Destination Imagination. NOT Destination Imagination Colorado. Again, Destination Imagination. Sterling Volunteer DICO Background Check use Good Deed Code: veq92lv. If you are a Jeffco team manager, please contact Tina or Megan.
- If you have a LEVEL 2 or 1 background check from Sterling Volunteers due to volunteer work with a different non-profit, church, or school, you may pay to upgrade to LEVEL 3 and then share with Destination Imagination.
- Your school district can opt to do a Group Waiver and submit to DIHQ
South Metro Newsletters
March 4, 2020 – Tournament Information Part 2
March 2, 2020 – Tournament Information Part 1
February 14, 2020 – Meeting Change and Tournament Program
January 3, 2020 – Register Your Team Today!
December 19 – Registration is Open
December 4, 2020 – Regional Updates
October, 2019 – We Have A Tournament Site!
September, 2019 – Team Work Makes The Dream Work!
Information about the DI Colorado State Tournament and Global finals will be added here.
Kayla Steffens, South Metro Regional Director
Debi Tipton, South Metro Regional Director
To develop opportunities that inspire the global community of learners to utilize diverse approaches in applying 21st-century skills and creativity.
The Destination Imagination program is a fun, hands-on system of learning that fosters students’ creativity, courage and curiosity through open-ended academic Challenges in the fields of STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics), fine arts and service learning. Our participants learn patience, flexibility, persistence, ethics, respect for others and their ideas, and the collaborative problem solving process. Teams may showcase their solutions at a tournament.