Welcome to the Cherry Creek Region for DI Colorado, We’re so glad you’re here!
We support all the schools in the Cherry Creek School District, as well as independent and home-school teams within the area.
Welcome To Cherry Creek
Greetings to our amazing Cherry Creek DI participants!
And – welcome to a new DI season. Before we share all the details we know at this point for the upcoming season, we’d like to express our deep appreciation for all the hard work and dedication you bring in support of our kids. DI can’t function without our Team Managers – and you are facilitating an experience for your team members that they’ll remember fondly throughout their lives. You’re also helping them to develop life-long skills like creative problem solving, self-expression, self-advocacy, teamwork, time and budget management, as well as completing the innovation process. They’ll rely upon these skills throughout the rest of their educational experience – preparing them to be more confident, capable, and successful as a result.
So – simply stated, thank you. You ROCK!
Now – on to the great stuff we have in store to support YOU this year! Please read the enclosed information about the Team Manager training schedule (we have something new in store this year – design your OWN experience!), parental support, as well as where to find important resources on the DI websites (both Colorado’s as well as the international DI site).
Cherry Creek Regional Tournament:
Attaching yourself as the manager of record for your team ensures you can access all of the program and challenge materials available to you. It also allows us to communicate important information to you directly. If you are co-managing with anyone else, all managers can, and should, sign up. You can do this at destinationimagination.org.
One of our all-time favorite quotes is this, “It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.…” Harry Truman said this more than 60 years ago, and it still rings true today – especially for Team Managers. We, as adults, can’t actually “do” anything for our team – except to encourage them and love them throughout their DI experience. It’s up to them, yes, but they depend upon you – our Team Managers – to be their rocks, their support system and their inspiration.
You inspire us – THANK YOU for all you do!
Volunteer Positions - We Need YOU!
Attaching Yourself As Team Manager of Record
By now, your team has most likely read through all of the exciting Challenges of the 2019-20 season. If you’ve chosen your Challenge, you may have even started working on its solution already! Each year, our Challenge Writers work hard to make sure they develop fun and engaging academic Challenges for all of our participants and knowing which Challenge your team is participating in this season helps us identify the most popular Challenges, as well as better gauge the number of teams that are competing worldwide.
We need you to take a few minutes to enter your team’s information, including your Team Name, Team Challenge, and Challenge Level, in our Resource Area.
If this is your first time accessing the Resource Area, this portal will allow you to download documents, such as practice Instant Challenges, as well as ask Team Clarifications. So please go ahead and dig around while you’re in there!
HOW TO ENTER YOUR TEAM’S INFORMATION:
- If you don’t have a DI account, create one now by going to: https://resources.destinationimagination.org/shop.php/auth/account/create_new_account and entering your information.
- Once you have an account, go to the Resource Area here: https://resources.destinationimagination.org/resources.php.
- Make sure to view and accept the code of conduct!
- Highlight the Teams tab and then select My Teams.
- Click on Add Team, and then enter either the Team Number and order number (this information will come from the person who purchased the team number) OR the Team Number and the postal code.
- If you have multiple teams, repeat Step 5 to claim all of your teams.
- Click on the pencil icon to the left of your Team Number and then add/edit your organization name, team name, and the Challenge/Level your team will be participating in this season. Remember, you can change the Challenge if your team decides to make a switch from their original plan. However, once you’ve competed in your first tournament, you cannot change your Challenge.
Important: Because our scoring program is tied to the information you provide, please make sure everything is accurate!
In order to provide the highest level of after school activities for our participants, DI Colorado requires all team managers to have background checks. Our procedure is based on current best practice of our industry. Background checks need to be completed to be eligible to compete at Regional and State Tournaments.
There are three ways in which Team Managers can complete a background check.
- Team Managers who are teachers must annually submit to DI Colorado their teacher license number and their current district ID. Please submit to Rob Brown. Contact Rob
- Managers who are not school employees should check with their school office and follow their volunteer procedures. We do not need a copy of their report, just an official acknowledgment from the school that a background check has been passed and is on file.
- Team Managers may also go through Verified Volunteers. The Team Manager will pay approximately $27.00 for this background check. This service will report to DI Colorado if you are cleared to work with children. This background check will need to be renewed annually. https://app.verifiedvolunteers.com
All of the methods outlined above are confidential, and your personal information does not reside with DI Colorado. We will only have an indication if you have been cleared or not cleared. If a team manager is not cleared to work with students that volunteer has the right to have his/her case reviewed by the agency providing the background check. Your Regional Director will be notified that your team cannot compete in the regional competition unless a new team manager is provided and cleared a background check.
Team Managers may not have any of the following convictions:
- Felony Child Abuse
- Violent Crimes
- Any felony offences involving unlawful sexual offences
- Any felony offences involving domestic violence
As a volunteer your privacy rights include:
- Notice and consent prior to the background check
- Notice of negative information before an adverse action is taken
- A right to receive a copy of the report
- A right to appeal an adverse decision
- Proper disposal of information included in a report.
Thank you for all your support of DI Colorado.
Cherry Creek Newsletters
Links to email newsletters…
Specifics for team-related costs in Cherry Creek TBA.
Maureen Dewar, Cherry Creek Co-Regional Director
Steph Wilson, Cherry Creek Co-Regional Director
Pearl Schwartz(phone number to be added)
Pearl Schwartz, Cherry Creek Co-Regional Director
Kick-Off Event for 2019-2020 Season (Invitation Event) 9:00 am
Kick-Off Event for 2019-2020 Season (Invitation Event) @ Englewood High School
Aug 24 @ 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
This is an “invitation event” — we will be gathering members of DI’s volunteer community to learn from last year, to set our priorities for this coming year, and to generally have a great time with each other!
To develop opportunities that inspire the global community of learners to utilize diverse approaches in applying 21st-century skills and creativity.
The Destination Imagination program is a fun, hands-on system of learning that fosters students’ creativity, courage and curiosity through open-ended academic Challenges in the fields of STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics), fine arts and service learning. Our participants learn patience, flexibility, persistence, ethics, respect for others and their ideas, and the collaborative problem solving process. Teams may showcase their solutions at a tournament.