Welcome to the North Metro Region for DI Colorado. We’re so glad you’re here!
Our region supports all the districts north and east of the Denver Metro Area including Aurora Public Schools, Adams 12, Adams 14, Brighton, Mapleton Public Schools, Greeley-Evans District 6, and Ft. Morgan, as well as independent and home-school teams within the area.
Register for Tournament Today!
Welcome to North Metro
Greetings to our amazing North Metro DI participants!
And – welcome to a new DI season. Before we share all the details we know at this point for the upcoming season, we’d like to express our deep appreciation for all the hard work and dedication you bring in support of our kids. DI can’t function without our Team Managers – and you are facilitating an experience for your team members that they’ll remember fondly throughout their lives. You’re also helping them to develop life-long skills like creative problem solving, self-expression, self-advocacy, teamwork, time and budget management, as well as completing the innovation process. They’ll rely upon these skills throughout the rest of their educational experience – preparing them to be more confident, capable, and successful as a result.
So – simply stated, thank you. You ROCK!
Now – on to the great stuff we have in store to support YOU this year! Please read the enclosed information about the Team Manager training schedule (we have something new in store this year – design your OWN experience!), parental support, as well as where to find important resources on the DI websites (both Colorado’s as well as the international DI site).
North Metro Regional Tournament:
March 7, 2020 at Hinkley High Schol
Attaching yourself as the manager of record for your team ensures you can access all of the program and challenge materials available to you. It also allows us to communicate important information to you directly. If you are co-managing with anyone else, all managers can, and should, sign up. You can do this at destinationimagination.org.
One of our all-time favorite quotes is this, “It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.…” Harry Truman said this more than 60 years ago, and it still rings true today – especially for Team Managers. We, as adults, can’t actually “do” anything for our team – except to encourage them and love them throughout their DI experience. It’s up to them, yes, but they depend upon you – our Team Managers – to be their rocks, their support system and their inspiration.
You inspire us – THANK YOU for all you do!
North Metro Challenge Masters
Technical – The Big Fix
Scientific – First Encounter
Fine Arts – Picture This
Improv – To The Rescue
Engineering – In the Cards
Service Learning – It’s About Time
Rising Stars – Blast Off
Team Manager Trainings
DI Colorado provides trainings for both our new and “seasoned” Team Managers.
New Team Manager Training: Covers the basics: an overview of the program, what you’ll need to get started, Instant Challenge, team building etc. Our goal is to get you started on the right foot and comfortable with the Destination Imagination program. This training will not discuss any of the long-term challenges.
Team Manager Training: These training opportunities are located throughout the Denver Metro Area, Pueblo, Durango and on the Western Slope. This experience offer the richest, most complete training. You get to interact with experienced team managers and volunteers, all of whom are eager to help. The agenda for the Denver Metro trainings: Team Manager Training Agenda 110219
There is no charge for trainings. It’s included as part of your fees when you purchase your National Membership.
Wine & Wisdom - Team Manager Support Group
Wine & Wisdom nights are an opportunity to get together with other Team Managers and discuss specific topics. Or if you have an issue you need to talk over with other Team Managers this is the place for you. Bring a drink and light snack to share. This is an adults only evening, please leave the kids at home.
This evening is hosted by Dacia Donohue, an experienced Team Manager and current DI Colorado Board Member. If you are interested in attending email Dacia at Dacia Donohue for the address.
Volunteer Positions - We Need YOU!
Attaching Yourself As Team Manager of Record
By now, your team has most likely read through all of the exciting Challenges of the 2019-20 season. If you’ve chosen your Challenge, you may have even started working on its solution already! Each year, our Challenge Writers work hard to make sure they develop fun and engaging academic Challenges for all of our participants and knowing which Challenge your team is participating in this season helps us identify the most popular Challenges, as well as better gauge the number of teams that are competing worldwide.
We need you to take a few minutes to enter your team’s information, including your Team Name, Team Challenge, and Challenge Level, in our Resource Area.
If this is your first time accessing the Resource Area, this portal will allow you to download documents, such as practice Instant Challenges, as well as ask Team Clarifications. So please go ahead and dig around while you’re in there!
HOW TO ENTER YOUR TEAM’S INFORMATION:
- If you don’t have a DI account, create one now by going to: https://resources.destinationimagination.org/shop.php/auth/account/create_new_account and entering your information.
- Once you have an account, go to the Resource Area here: https://resources.destinationimagination.org/resources.php.
- Make sure to view and accept the code of conduct!
- Highlight the Teams tab and then select My Teams.
- Click on Add Team, and then enter either the Team Number and order number (this information will come from the person who purchased the team number) OR the Team Number and the postal code.
- If you have multiple teams, repeat Step 5 to claim all of your teams.
- Click on the pencil icon to the left of your Team Number and then add/edit your organization name, team name, and the Challenge/Level your team will be participating in this season. Remember, you can change the Challenge if your team decides to make a switch from their original plan. However, once you’ve competed in your first tournament, you cannot change your Challenge.
Important: Because our scoring program is tied to the information you provide, please make sure everything is accurate!
In order to provide the highest level of after school activities for our participants, DI Colorado requires all team managers to have background checks. Please review our detailed Youth Protection Policy here.
There are several ways in which North Metro Team Managers can complete a background check.
- Managers who are teachers or other school employees may submit a scan or photo of their teacher license number and their current district ID to Rob
- Other Managers in Aurora Public Schools must go through the district volunteer approval process, please contact your school’s front office for details. We will receive their clearance through the District Offices.
- Managers who are not school employees in districts other than Aurora Public Schools should check with their school office and follow their volunteer procedures. We do not need a copy of the report, but rather an official notification on letterhead from the school signed by an administrator that a background check has been passed and is on file.
- If none of these options are suitable, you may use Sterling Volunteers through our State Office– Click Here Our “Good Deed Code” is veq92lv. There is a non-refundable fee of approximately $25
All of the methods outlined above are confidential, and your personal information does not reside with DI Colorado. We will only have an indication if you have been cleared or not cleared. If a team manager is not cleared to work with students that volunteer has the right to have his/her case reviewed by the agency providing the background check. Your Regional Director will be notified that your team cannot compete in the regional competition unless a new team manager is provided and has cleared a background check.
North Metro Events
You’re invited to the first ever Metro-Area Destination Imagination (DI) Kickoff Event!
Join metro-area Regional Directors, Challenge Masters, DI team members, and team managers to gain more insight into the DI experience and enjoy a night of fun!
Friday, October 4th 6-8pm Northfield High School Cafetorium 5500 Central Park Blvd, Denver, CO 80238
FREE pizza and bottled water provided! Teams that register for a team on site will receive a 50% discount on their tournament registration fees!
Contact Minda McGurk at email@example.com for any questions.
Specifics for team-related costs in North Metro TBA.
Andy Dechant, Regional Director
To develop opportunities that inspire the global community of learners to utilize diverse approaches in applying 21st-century skills and creativity.
The Destination Imagination program is a fun, hands-on system of learning that fosters students’ creativity, courage and curiosity through open-ended academic Challenges in the fields of STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics), fine arts and service learning. Our participants learn patience, flexibility, persistence, ethics, respect for others and their ideas, and the collaborative problem solving process. Teams may showcase their solutions at a tournament.